Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Products Without Plastic

In my previous posts about going plastic free, I talked about how plastics can be lurking in places that you may not realize. Tiny parts and mechanisms inside coffee makers and pretty much every part of a toothbrush were big concerns for me because these items make direct contact with my body daily in the form of the coffee I drink (produced with hot water passing through plastic parts) and the toothbrush I use twice a day.


Clean Coffee

I did lots of research before deciding on a replacement for our French press. It was only then that I realized it is near impossible to find a 100% plastic-free version because of the filtration system. Even glass and stainless steel versions contained plastic. I was ready to give up when I found this 100% stainless steel version by Secura. Even better is the fact that because there are no paper filters needed, I am saving money and keeping waste out of landfills. Our new French press gets a lot of use as we use it to make iced tea as well as coffee. It is easily cleaned and beautiful enough to keep on open shelving.

The next item I needed to replace was my coffee grinder. The electric one we had was one that had been good to us and lasted years. The only problem was it was made almost entirely of plastic. After searching for a replacement I realized the only way to find a plastic-free version was to find a version that you grind by hand. I found this one that is stainless steel with wood accents. Inside is a cork stopper that keeps your ground coffee fresh. I love that there is a way to adjust the type of grind you want which also changes how much effort is needed to grind the coffee.


Bamboo Brushing

The third item on my list to find a replacement for was my toothbrush. It just didn't make sense to work so hard to remove plastic products from our home but put a plastic toothbrush with synthetic bristles in my mouth twice a day. Luckily, there are companies that understand these concerns and produce natural bamboo toothbrushes. It took some research to find which one was best for me, and the only one I found that was 100% plastic-free (the packaging is plant-based and biodegradable) and natural was one by Brush with Bamboo. This brush is made with partially plant-based bristles and is one of the only on the market that has bristles not made from plastic or pig/boar hair (which would be a problem for vegans). Even better is that bamboo toothbrushes are beautiful enough to display on the sink for easy access.

No comments:

Post a Comment