Thursday, November 26, 2015

Holiday Gift Guide


In a minimalist lifestyle, you question every purchase and try to only buy things that serve multiple purposes. If it is going to take up room in your life, it needs to do more than just collect dust.

During the holidays, you want to encourage the same values by giving a gift you know can be useful, but not something as mundane as a pair of socks or gloves. You also want to give gifts that would be something you yourself would love to have. And as amazing as handmade gifts are, not everyone has the time or creative endeavors to create such gifts.

Here are some of my favorite ideas for the gift giver that wants to give purposeful gifts, all under $30.

1. Paddywax Tobacco Vanilla Candle $24 from Urban Outfitters

I have never met a scented candle from Paddywax Candles I didn't like. But of the many assorted varieties I have had the pleasure of buying, the Tobacco Vanilla from their French Apothecary Collection is my favorite. Hands down. Maybe it's the tobacco scent that reminds me of the pipes my father used to smoke, or the vanilla scent that reminds me of baking. Maybe it's the new blue glass bottles, or a combination of all three. Either way, there's just something about a flickering candle that brings warmth to any home.

2. Acca Cappa Beech Wood Comb $28 from Anthropologie

If you've read my previous posts, then you know I am passionate about living plastic-free. Which is why I get excited when I find a plastic-free alternative to a plastic item in my home. This comb is not only beautiful, but it's natural wood and is smooth enough that it does not snag your hair. It is beautifully crafted and can be a gift for men and women.

3. Rosebud Multi-purpose Oil $28 from Urban Outfitters

This oil has changed my life. Not only is it multi-use, meaning you can use it on skin or hair to moisturize, but it has the most feminine and beautiful scent (rose, peony and bergamot) that lingers longer than any spray perfume. It comes in a glass bottle, which makes this plastic-free gal giddy, and has beautiful dried petals that float in the oil. Because of how few drops you need and the size of the bottle, I can see it lasting for quite some time.

4. Barr-Co Solid Perfume $16 from K. Hall Designs

As mentioned in my last item, I have found that the scent of spray perfumes do not last. What has worked for me are oils and solid perfumes that absorb into the skin for a longer lasting scent. If you have not heard of Barr-Co, it is an eco-friendly company that does not use plastics and instead uses glass bottles and packaging that can be repurposed once the product runs out. In the case of this solid perfume, the tin container could be reused as a change or safety pin holder. This particular perfume is scented with milk, oatmeal, vanilla and vetiver. I find that the scent lingers on the skin longer than a spray but isn't greasy on skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment